Saturday 14 May 2011

Shippeitaro & The Phantom Cats

This was the last story for my Japanese Folktale book. I didn't manage to make a book for it, but I will have one made with all three stories in it. I'm still pondering on the title for it though, hehe. Anyway, this one is about a samurai who helps stop a village being forced to sacrifice their maidens to the mountain spirit ( which turns out to be a bakeneko or 'monster cat').
  
Samurai Sleeps At Ruined Haunted Temple


 Samurai Wanders Down To The Outskirts Of Village.

  
A Village Mother Tells Of Annual Sacrifices To Mountain Spirit


 Shippeitaro, The Prince's Dog


The Bakeneko Is Slain (cropped)

  
Shippeitaro & Samurai Slay The Bakeneko And His Followers

2 comments:

  1. The "village mother" image is my favourite. The faded cat sillohette in the background really makes the piece stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Stuart. :)

    I was originally going to have a black shadow over the cage, but found there was too much excess of ink ( only used one plate as I didn't have enough time to create second ). Plus, I realized that spirits don't cast shadows, hehe.

    ReplyDelete